In order to increase the staff capacity of two organizations, Pittsburgh Festival Opera (PFO) and Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra (PYSO) seek a Marketing Director to assist each organization in clarifying, expanding, and improving its identity to potential ticket buyers, donors, supporters, and the greater community.
This is a demanding and exciting full-time position for a marketing professional with previous experience marketing the performing arts. The Marketing Director is responsible for the development and implementation of an ongoing marketing plan designed to increase overall attendance at public events and educational programs. The position also requires managing and enhancing the brand identity of both organizations, as well as overseeing all print and electronic communications and relationships with the press.
The successful candidate will provide comprehensive marketing support for each organization (with an eye to discovering additional economies of scale where possible), looking at costs for graphic design, printing, office technology, and advertising.
This full-time, non-exempt position reports to the Executive Directors of PFO and PYSO, and will require a flexible schedule that adapts to the needs of the organizations’ annual calendars. It is anticipated that the division of time will be approximately 65% for PFO and 35% for PYSO, with an annual salary of approximately $40,000, based on experience.
Develop Strategic Marketing Plan
- Strategic promotional partnerships
- Paid media schedules and related sponsorships
- Publicity timelines and strategies
- Email and social media calendar
- Season Subscription Drive (PFO only)
- Individual Productions
- Program Ad Sales/Trades
Capture and analyze data
- Ticket sales and pricing (PFO only)
- Customer demographics
- Web, email, and social media analytics
- Identify interview/editorial opportunities
- Pitch feature stories and interviews
- Create, write, and distribute media materials including:
- Press releases
- Press kits for critics and other media
- Social media posts, updates, and design
- Print and online calendar submissions
- Build relationships with key music critics and arts editors
- Secure reviews, media tickets, and pictures for media
- Maintain media sponsorship contracts
- Write brochure, postcard, ads, and oversee the design process for the above printed materials
- Recommend and contract with design services and supervise design process, routing, approvals and print production as needed.
- Coordinate production and distribution of materials with printer and mail house
- Coordinate photo shoots and photo ops
- Organize poster distribution
- Update online and email listings
- Coordinate with graphic designer and printer on program copy and design
- Make signs for lobby, box office and sponsors during productions
- Assist in soliciting advertising for production programs or other materials
- Weekly social media content creation, engagement, and management
- Initiate and maintain relationships with other arts, community and business organizations on behalf of organizations
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- In-depth knowledge of social media platforms
- Strong writing skills and a love of language
- Previous professional experience in arts marketing
- Ability to divide times and resources amongst two different organizations
- Primarily office work conditions, with a combination of hours spent in the offices of PYSO and PFO, and working remotely.
- Work hours are somewhat flexible, generally occurring Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, with occasional evening and weekend hours as needed to support performances/events.
If you are interested in an internship opportunity, please check out our Summer Season internships in both production and administration areas.
Pittsburgh Festival Opera (PFO) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, PFO complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company works. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.